- Identifying and Understanding Inventions
- Obtaining invention disclosures from inventors.
- Identifying patentable inventions and understanding the invention.
- Practical exercise – role play.
- Patent Claim Drafting.
- Different methodical approaches for preparing claims after the invention has been identified and understood.
- Practical exercises applying the different methods discussed.
- Patent Claim Design.
- Specific types of claims, clarity, claim word choice.
- Checking the claim to check it captures competing products, avoids unnecessary limitations, claim elements are related to each other, overcomes the prior art, and is industrial applicable. This session will include practical exercises applying the different methods discussed.
- Typical Parts of the Patent Application.
- Detailed description, drawings, background, abstract, summary and how those sections support the claims, including practical exercises.
- Prosecuting Patent Applications
- Responding to office actions, including amending claims and developing arguments, including practical exercises.
- Patent Strategy
- Offensive and defensive patenting, and design-around techniques.
- Regional Differences
- Discuss differences between countries and regions: two-part claims, unity of invention, equivalents, novelty.
- IP Strategies worldwide and updates on laws in Europe and USA.
- Practical exercise - drafting a full patent specification in groups.
- Closing ceremony and certificate of attendance presentations.
To be advised
To be advised